I love books, I love reading, collecting, adoring them and the list goes on. But as a reader I have discovered that I have some preferences, in terms of the content of a book and the actual physical book. Here are some things that bother me when it comes to books, but also for some balance I’ve included things that I love in books!
I thought I’d start with this one because it’s more straight forward!
- It REALLY bothers me when the spine of a book is damaged, like really bothers me, that’s why for me it’s such a pain in the ass to read thick books. Inevitably the spine will cave in! 😥
- Have you bought a hardcover book and the dust jacket is beautiful but when you take it off there is actually no design on the cover! I mean they aren’t supposed to be designed that’s what the dust jacket is there for but it really disappoints me when there is nothing on the cover!
- When there are actual people on the cover? I don’t know why, I just don’t like it at all!
What I love!
- When there is a map incorporated in the novel!
- When there are messages or other formats in the book (emails/files) but as long as it’s not there to distract from the book.
- As much as they damage the spine I really love thick books ( and I cannot lie! I am sorry I’ve seen that meme too much on bookstagram to just ignore it…)
- When the blurb is mysterious… But not to the point where I am debating if I want this book or not because I simply don’t know enough to be invested.
The absolute honest truth is I’ll get books any way I can; I am a student so I buy second hand books/ books from warehouses that have been damaged as well as brand new copies. As long as I am fairly positive that I’ll be interested in the content I will buy it!
- When there is a love triangle but it is not done properly!! It just gives me heartache, and not the kind the reader actually wantssssss.
- Before when reading a novel I’d fully immerse myself and not try to think about guessing what’s going to happen next or who’s going to fall in love with whom. It’s become pretty much impossible for me to do that now. What’s worse for me is when things turn out the way I guessed. If this is anyone’s fault its mine, but sometimes books can be predictable too!
What I love!
- If there is a plot twist that I didn’t see coming!
- The author finds a way to make the reader happy with the ending without going through the predictable/expected route.
- This sounds sadistic but I prefer books that kill off characters… Let me explain, it means that the author is going out on a limb and has enough trust in their content that even if the certain characters die you’ll still enjoy the book and carry on reading. No? That’s just me? Okay never mind!
What are some of your bookish pet peeves? Or what are things that really brighten your experience when you find them in/on a book?